What is Loose Skin and How to Treat It
Losing weight is impressive, reduces disease health risks, gives you more confidence, and helps you look great again. However, many people who achieve major weight loss are often left with loose, sagging skin that negatively affects appearance. If you have loose and aging skin due to weight loss, loose skin treatment in Lafayette, California has many different ways to help you regain skin tightness.
Why is Skin Lose after Weight Loss?
The skin is the largest organ in the body and is a protective barrier against the environment. The innermost layer of your skin is proteins, collagen, and elastin. Collagen makes up 80% of your skin’s structure and provides firmness and strength. Elastin provides elasticity that helps skin stay tight.
During weight gain, your skin expands to make room for increased growth in the different parts of your body. Pregnancy causes skin expansion, and weight gain due to poor eating habits, and little or no exercise is another cause of an expanding waistline or a chubby face.
When the skin has been significantly stretched and remains stretched for a long time, collagen and elastin fibers become damaged. They lose their ability to retract and tighten. Consequently, when someone loses a great deal of weight, excess skin hangs from their body. In general, the greater the weight loss, the more pronounced loose skin becomes.
Other factors also contribute to loose skin can be:
- Amount of weight lost. If you lose 100 pounds or more, typically, you will have a great amount of hanging skin.
- Length of time you are overweight. The longer you have been overweight or obese, the looser your skin will be after weight loss.
- Older skin has less collagen than younger skin, and this tends to make the skin loose.
- Genes affect how your skin responds to weight gain and loss.
- Sun exposure. Tanning and chronic sun exposure reduce skin’s collagen and elastin production. These losses contribute to loose skin.
- Smoking leads to a reduction in collagen production. Smoking damages collagen, and the result is loose sagging skin.
What are the problems related to excess and loose skin?
Loose skin due to weight loss can cause physical and emotional challenges. Some of these include:
- Physical discomfort: Excess skin is uncomfortable and interferes with normal activities. A study of 360 adult people found that interference with normal activities and loose skin occurred most often in those who had lost 100-110 pounds or more.
- Stopping exercise plans. In a study of 26 women, 76% reported that loose skin limited exercise mobility. Almost 45% said they stopped exercising altogether because flapping and sagging skin caused people to make comments and stare.
- Skin irritation and breakdown causes skin pain, ulcers, or infections due to loose skin.
- Poor body image from loose skin can have negative effects on bodies and moods.
How to Take Care of Loose Skin
Body-contouring surgery is one of the most common procedures to remove loose skin, but there are less invasive options that have lower risks of complications. Loose skin treatment in Lafayette, California, can tighten and wrinkle reduce every facial and body part, including areas traditionally difficult to treat. Radiofrequency (RF) treatments are used and range between 10 and 30 minutes for treatment. The amount of time a treatment takes, however, is dependent on the specific application and area.
RF Treatments are not painful. Loose skin treatment in Lafayette, California uses a device that includes a cooling system to provide you with the most comfortable experience possible. Patients may notice skin tightening immediately after treatment, and other patients notice results within six months of initial treatment. You may require multiple procedures to see the full results. In general, with proper skincare, RF result last for several years.
How Does Radiofrequency (RF) Skin Tightening Work?
During a radiofrequency skin tightening procedure, heat is used to encourage the production of collagen and elastin. New collagen and elastin you gain after RF treatments help to eliminate wrinkles and fine lines and tighten up loose skin. During RF treatment, current flows from the electrodes of the RF device into your skin. It heats the tissues beneath to stimulate collagen and elastin. It is very safe, but there may be some mild pain during RF loose skin tightening in Lafayette, California, but it is not uncomfortable.
Contact Sanctuaire MD for loose skin tightening in Lafayette, California, if you want to treat loose skin on the neck, abdomen, thighs and buttocks, arms, knees, or even your face.
3587 Mt. Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549
533 Moraga Rd Suite 120
Moraga, CA 94556
Tue - Fri: 10am - 5pm
Sat: 10am - 3pm
Sun & Mon: Closed